The Versatile Blogger Award
I have had this blog with WordPress and another site for over two years now. During this time, I have seen blogger-award badges or symbols posted on various writers’ and photographers’ blog pages and wondered what it would take for someone to receive such an award. Well, this past week I discovered how it happens. Kerry Leibowitz from Lightscapes Nature Photography Blog presented me with the Versatile Blogger award.
My first reaction was one of being stunned…I couldn’t believe it. My second reaction was that of quiet wonder. How could it be? I looked at the other sites that Kerry nominated and was touched that he would name me among them as possibly deserving such an award. After looking at the other sites, I went back to Kerry’s blog and scrolled through his posts and marveled again and again at the beauty of his photography…and wondered again how or why he would choose me and my blog for such an award. I could continue on for another couple of paragraphs at my amazement of Kerry’s selecting me, but I’ll turn that off for now and simply say “Thank you,” to Kerry for his thoughtfulness and consideration. Again, I am touched…and honored. Thank you, Kerry.
Within the WordPress community, there are “rules” or stipulations that accompany accepting this and other awards. For the Versatile Blogger Award, the recipient must:
1. Thank the award giver and link back to them in your post,
2. Share seven things about yourself,
3. Pass this award along to 15 recently discovered blogs you enjoy reading, and
4. Contact your chosen bloggers to notify them of the award.
For #1 listed above, I have already thanked Kerry and provided a link back to his beautiful blog.
For #2, the following are seven things that you may or may not already know about me from having read my blog:
* I have been married to my high-school sweetheart for over 30 years,
* My wife and I have six children and five grandchildren,
* My favorite authors are Cormac McCarthy and John Steinbeck,
* It only took me 14 years to complete my B.S. in Sociology from Arizona State University…between raising the six children and the rest of life that happened in between semesters and years,
* Before moving to Salt Lake City and becoming an avid hiker in the nearby Wasatch Mountains, I lived in the desert that is Phoenix, Arizona and was an avid racquetball player,
* I used to be a police 9-1-1 operator and dispatcher,
* I find venereal disease to be fascinating. 🙂
For #3, I nominate the following blogs for the Versatile Blog Award:
* Mike’s Look at Life – a brilliant and down-to-earth perspective on real life, the part that’s not always pretty, but real, the part that informs our existence as humans and the trials and joys that complete our lives…with some beautiful photos to boot.
* Travels with The Blonde Coyote – science writer and photographer Mary Caperton Morton provides insight on many of the world’s natural marvels and treats the reader to compelling photographs of the incredible locations that her free-lance writing career and personal travels take her.
* Farm House Stories – Cait shares stories and photos about living in a farm-house in Ontario…captivating photos with thought-provoking quotations.
* The Lantern Room – Meanderer invites us to follow her almost spiritual journey into nature as she captures images that still the heart and encourage us to be “in the moment” and aware of our surroundings.
* Shietree – this is Helen McClory’s photographic blog of her Scottish homeland with her almost poetic descriptions of where she traveled to take the photos…with occasional references to her in-progress novel’s characters’ emotional states or thoughts if they might view the landscapes with us…so beautiful.
* Sarah Horrigan Photography – stunning and moving photography from Sarah’s family and life in England.
* Season’s Light – Dovesgold’s poetry has an alluring rhythm and word choice that reminds me of olde-tyme chants from another age, kind of raw and mysterious…and beautiful…with photos of flowers and nature that calm the spirit.
* Street Inspired – street-level photography by a travel-junkie university student who loves graffiti and street art.
I know that’s not 15 blogs, but I would have a couple more to list if they hadn’t also just received the award from Kerry – James Brandon O’Shea and the Poetic Aperture Blog…incredibly beautiful words and photographs in both.
Thank you again, Kerry.